roasted walnuts with rosemary

October 6th, 2010 § 9

This radically simple dish is a secret weapon in our culinary arsenal. Anyone who tastes these will press you for the recipe. And you’ll invite them back for dinner, and make the walnuts right in front of them, and they’ll marvel at how something so simple can be so good.

walnuts_with_rosemary3

These warm jewels make a perfect ending to a fall meal, alongside sliced pears, blue cheese, and a glass of port. Or with apples and some very dark chocolate.

pear_blue_cheese

Pears and Stilton blue cheese go very well with the walnuts.

The secret weapon factor comes into full play when you realize you have guests who want to stay around the table even though you’ve already served dessert. In the time that it takes to stack the dishes in the sink and change the music, you’ll have another course to serve, and someone will be asking if there’s any more wine.

walnuts_with_rosemary2

roasted walnuts with rosemary

with thanks to Pat Forsberg, whose friendship and fridge have inspired some of our best cooking

butter
walnut halves
dried rosemary
fine salt

Preheat the oven to 375º. In a saucepan, over very low heat, melt enough butter to coat the walnuts lightly. Turn off the heat, throw the walnuts into the saucepan, and stir to coat. Season generously with dried rosemary and salt. Turn the walnuts out of the saucepan onto a baking sheet, leaving any excess butter behind. Bake for 7 minutes, or until the walnuts are just turning from gold to bronze.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share/Save/Bookmark

§ 9 Responses to “roasted walnuts with rosemary”

• Wei-Wei says:

Butter?? I just love roasted walnuts, but I’ve never thought of adding butter! Man, I have to do this next time. Thanks!

• Melissa says:

This looks delicious! And I am loving the combination of these with apple and dark chocolate! I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing!

• This looks absolutely perfect for a girls’ night in I’m hosting later this week (and dear God, these girls love wine and talking!). If I make a pretty large batch, do you think they’d stay good enough to last in zip-lock bags, as part of lunch to tote to work, or as an after-school snack?

• [...] The Dog’s Breakfast adds yet another recipe to my appetizers-to-cook list: Roasted Walnuts with Rosemary. It sounds brilliantly simple and is apparently a great hit with guests! [...]

• David says:

These would make a terrific snack at work or after school – healthy, too, with all those Omega 3s. But as the butter on the nuts cools, it can congeal, which can be somewhat unappetizing. So I would recommend reheating them. A few seconds on a paper towel in the microwave should do the trick. Try them with dried figs!

• I make something similar from an old Martha recipe, but mine have cayenne, brown sugar and shallots in addition to the rosemary. A bit more of a commitment, but also very popular at a party. Love the idea of pairing them with pears and Stilton…what doesn’t go better with a little cheese?!

• Lea Ann says:

Hi there, found your blog by looking through the Foodista cookbook. Looks like you have a great site here. Love the theory behind the name. I’m in the cookbook too. I look forward to more recipies from your kitchen. This recipe by the way looks and sounds WONderful. What a great combination.

• Nishta says:

I love the photography here, as always, and love the way you’ve captured that “dinner-party-we-don’t-want-to-end” haze. I, too, keep an arsenal of things in the pantry that can easily become an extra course, and since we have a huge rosemary bush in the yard & walnuts always in the freezer, I can add this to my mental list of ideas.

thank you, gentlemen!

• David says:

Thanks, Nishta – I’m curious to know what you might pull out of your hat in the same situation.

• § Leave a Reply